It was another busy week for me. I am quickly getting use to the amount of work that is required to be a good teacher. My supervising teacher was out on Monday and Tuesday so I had a chance to test my new classroom management skills without her there. The only thing I had to fall back on was the sub. I thought it was weird that the school still had to place a sub in the classroom even though they are confident that I can handle it on my own. Some of the rules are strange, but at least the sub got to collect an easy paycheck for sitting in the back of the classroom and reading magazines all day.
I have been teaching 3rd period World History honors on my own for awhile now but this was the first time I have taught 1st and 2nd period AP World History. Everything went great! (Whew) The kids didn't act up and I was able to make sure they didn't fall behind while Mrs. Eyberg was out. During lunch I had one of the other teachers in the teacher's lounge text her and tell her I had already wrote 4 referrals. When she got back she was ready to have a wonderful discussion about respect with the class until she found out I was just pulling her leg. Surprisingly she didn't think it was as funny as the rest of us did!
I also had a great opportunity to attend the ISSS for the second year in a row. The ISSS is an international social studies conference that takes place at UCF. There were numerous sessions that gave me great ideas that I can use immediately in the classroom. My favorite session was about a new way to use primary sources in the classroom and I plan on doing this within the next week. Stay tuned to find out how it goes!
It's great to have a good supervising teaching experience. Some teachers don't have this so they are at a loss when they start teaching. As a sub I would have never sat back and read a magazine. Nerve of them.
ReplyDelete