Monday, February 21, 2011

Another Week is Gone!

My internship has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my graduate career.  I can not express the amount of priceless experiences I have had so far.  This week was no exception.  I am finally getting to use some of the things I have learned at UCF in the real world.  You really get to see the work that goes into implementing an idea.  When you are just writing about some cool assignment in class it can sometimes be hard to imagine how real students will respond to it.  I am getting the chance to try out my ideas on unsuspecting students and there is nothing they can do about it.

I have already come to the realization that I need to rely less on notes.  You can create the most amazing powerpoint in the world and it still won't keep your students interested forever.  I know now that I need to mix it up more, increase my use of class discussion and student centered instruction like think, pair, share.  Another thing that I have confirmed is the use of an awesome review game before any test.  I have always planned on using a review game.  After seeing the success of this during my internship I have confirmed my suspicion that students not only love games, but they can be tricked into having fun while learning!  One of the most rewarding things happened today when after the first quarter county history exam one of my students raised his hand to tell me "thanks for getting me prepared for the test, I have never felt that good about a county exam."  My internship is helping me to find all the ways to create a positive learning environment for my students and I have never been so happy to work for free!      

No comments:

Post a Comment