Monday, April 11, 2011

FCAT Day One was a Success!

The first day of FCAT was today and I felt it went well.  This is another thing I can add to my resume for next year.  I have gained so much experience during my internship I am almost sad that it is coming to an end.  The only thing that helps me cope is the fact that I know that next year I will be in my own classroom, helping kids in the same way, and getting a paycheck so I can pay my bills!  I really hope things go well at the job fair on the 20th!  My first choice would be to teach here at Osceola High School but I don't think they will have a spot open, but I can still hope.  I have come to respect the faculty and staff and I think the students are great.

OHS demonstrates their care for the student body in a variety of different ways.  One of my favorite things they do is a food program for students who need stuff to eat on the weekends.  This truly goes above just the education of children and helps to create a trusting relationship with these students.  Once I start teaching and have the money I plan on making charity a part of my teaching career.  I volunteered again this week with credit recovery.  There is a wide variety of students in the program.  They range from freshmen trying to repair their GPA with grade forgiveness,  to seniors retaking government so they can graduate.  I think it is really important that schools offer programs like this to encourage students to take school seriously.  No matter how many positives there are about a program there will always be people out there talking about the one negative thing about it.  There are many teachers who seem to be upset with this program because they think the students will take their classes for granted the first time around because they know they it will be easy to pass in credit recovery.  I understand their concern but I still feel that the main objective of a teacher should be the students success.  If a student is able to fix a bad grade or retake a class by doing extra work after school and this helps them graduate and continue their education who is really losing?   

1 comment:

  1. I think that we are all holding our collective breath....Pressure, Pressure, Pressure...I can't wait for you, as well, to begin your teaching career!

    MarthaLueStewart

    ReplyDelete